Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Day Without Electricity

So I tried going a day without electricity all week long and each day I have failed, until last night. I finally just decided to go to bed super early.  It was a nice excuse to get a break from having to stay up all hours caring for a screaming three month old!
So this is how our day went....
The baby and I woke up around 9:30 and I ate cereal and made tea with the gas stove instead of microwave. The rest of the day until her nap we all played and talked and went for a walk in the neighborhood. I wasn't distracted by the computer, cell phone or T.V. so I was able to get some bills taken care of. I still do my bills the old school way with a check book and stamps, so this was easy for me to do without electricity. I got some cleaning and organizing done and wrote a couple of letters to family. It's nice to not have such a distraction from electronic devices that are time vampires. I realized how much time is sucked out of my day watching T.V., using my I-Phone and playing on the computer.
My day was so relaxing just hanging out in the quiet of the day and enjoying my kids. My oldest, however, was getting irritated about not having the T.V. on. She kept asking me what she did wrong and why I wouldn't let her watch it. Daddy took her to a local carnival to get her out of the house and I took a much needed nap in the evening. Once it got dark, I went to bed with the baby and used the usually annoying and super bright street lamp outside my bedroom window as a night light when I needed to get up in the middle of the night for feedings and a diaper change.
This project made my realize that I could get things done without the microwave and computer. My family had a hard time dealing with it, but I felt my day was more relaxing because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment