Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Anyone Can Draw

I enjoyed the exercise and lesson about how anyone can draw in class on Tuesday. The analogy that Glenn used about a six year old being able to do anything with a lot of practice made a lot of sense. When you're young, around six years old, everyone tells you that you can do anything if you try really hard and practice. Being so young and idealic, not yet having those feelings of  self doubt and crippling fear of failure, we all felt we could do and acheive anything.

I was trying to show my seven year old how to draw a mouse for her homework. She was upset and said she couldn't draw good. I told her she could draw great and that I would help her. I showed her how to draw a simple mouse out of the letter "D" laying down. Her confidence was immediately boosted and she continued to draw the rest of her homework assignment without my help.  After the drawing exercise and lecture last week on how any of us can draw, I too got the same kind of confidence boost about my drawing abilities.

It's a shame that schools have not continued with art instruction classes. I see how easy it is for younger kids to pick up drawing and they learn so easily when they are young little "sponges" just craving for instruction. Learning a "cool" skill like drawing and painting could be a great confidence booster in children who may be struggling socially or scholastically. Sometime a little boost can go a long way for little ones. Art instruction should be included with writing instruction. They are all just lines, after all, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment