Monday, December 12, 2011

Who questions the authenticity of their reality?

I was wondering why and how some people question the authenticity or actuality of their lives. Some say that our life is just a dream or a projection of our own imagination. I've even met some mentally ill people who believe they under control of some sort of machines and medications. The one common factor I have noticed about those who are questioning that their lives are real are all unhappy with the current state of their lives. Maybe the only explaination for why these individuals are so miserable or mentally ill is for them to tell themselves that "this all a dream, this isn't real".

However, I have had days that I felt were so terrible it had to be a nightmare. I;ve also been so sleep deprived and exhausted that I could barely distinquish awake from asleep and dreaming. But, once I've gotten back to my normal self, I am able to realize what is real and what's not. And my reality is pretty great, so I don't want to question it and I just enjoy the good times and try to roll with the punches during the bad times.

But if I had a terrible life with all kinds of mental health issues or unhappiness, I'm sure I would question my reality as well. I met many patients in the lock down units during my psych rotation and they all believe that The Matrix, Inception and Avatar as well as other similar Sy-Fy movies  are completely real and they fully represent reality for them. They were mostly schitzophrenic and off their meds but they were still very articulate and if you let yourself be sucked in by their words, it's easy to beleive their rationales and buy into their illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment