Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Most Natural of all Beauty (with an angry tirade to conclude)

 Here are a few of my favorite works of art with the theme being mother hood/ nurturing. The majority of my days and nights are consumed with caring for my newborn and I'm usually nursing her for the geater part of my day. I love how all three of the images portray a calmness and contentment of both mother and baby.

Considering how old these pieces are, from over one hundred years ago, the concept of breast feeding has been a celebrated subject of beauty for centuries. The three I have chosen are just  a few of the many works of art portraying breastfeeding and nurturing, many of them from the 19th-21st century. The subject is the most natural of all acts since the beginning of time; a mother feeding her infant. The sweetness of the unique bond is conveyed by the artists to display the wonder of the natural  process.

So why then, is breast feeding considered controversial? Why do we feel the need to conceal ourselves with blankets while breast feeding in public? Why did I have to turn off the "safe search" feature when looking up Breast feeding art on Yahoo?  There are laws in each state of the U.S. stating that woman is permitted to nurse her child in public without being cited for indescent exposure. Why is a law like this even nesessary? Do we really need a law to protect mothers from doing something as natural as breathing? In other countries a woman breastfeeding in public is no big deal and doesnt get a second look. I don't understand why feeding a baby the way God intended mothers to is something to be hidden. It's hard enough to go out and run errands with a newborn without worrying about nasty looks from strangers and trying to keep a fussy, hungry baby under a blanket on a hot day to eat.

So to lady with her rude comments about me feeding my baby (completely covered with a blanket ) I say, " GET OVER IT AND SIT SOMEWHERE ELSE!"

This blog is brought to you by sleep deprivation and hunger

No comments:

Post a Comment